The postmortem report said Sridevi fell into the bathtub after losing consciousness and drowned.
Three days after actor Sridevi died in Dubai, her body has been released from the morgue and is being taken for embalming, according to Khaleej Times, a UAE daily. Sridevi’s family, earlier today, got a clearance letter from the Dubai Police for embalming, the Indian Consulate had confirmed in a tweet. A forensic report has said Sridevi “accidentally drowned” in a bathtub in her hotel room on Saturday.
- “Dubai Police has handed over the Consulate and the family members letters for the release of the mortal remains of the Indian cinema icon Sridevi Boney Kapoor so that they can proceed for embalming,” Indian consulate said in a tweet. Her body will be brought back to Mumbai for the funeral by a chartered jet.
- India’s envoy to the United Arab Emirates Navdeep Suri had said, “We are working with local authorities to ensure that mortal remains can be sent to India at the earliest. We are on the job,” Mr Suri had tweeted.
- The ambassador had also cautioned against a “frenzy of speculation,” suggesting that “we leave it to the experts to determine cause of demise. Let’s be responsible.” The police have recorded her husband, producer Boney Kapoor’s statement, reports said.
- A medical panel has been formed to look into the evidence and forensic report that said the actor “accidentally drowned” in a bathtub in her hotel room on Saturday, a lawyer in Dubai told NDTV, adding that “investigation should be satisfactory and anytime they can hold the body.” The police have recorded Sridevi’s husband, film director Boney Kapoor’s statement, reports said.
- Sridevi was found unconscious in a bathtub in her hotel apartment at the Jumeirah Emirates Towers by her husband, producer Boney Kapoor, on Saturday evening, media reports said. After a medical team failed to revive her, she was taken to a hospital, where she was declared dead.
- The postmortem report said Sridevi fell into the bathtub after losing consciousness and drowned. The case was transferred to the “Dubai Public Prosecution” to complete “legal procedures.” Sridevi’s family had initially said that she died of a cardiac arrest. The forensic report did not mention a cardiac arrest.
- Sridevi, Boney Kapoor and their younger daughter Khushi had gone to Dubai to attend a family wedding. Boney Kapoor returned to Mumbai with their daughter after the wedding on February 20, while Sridevi stayed back.
- Boney Kapoor returned to Dubai on Saturday to surprise his wife, reports said. The couple was to go out for dinner, but Sridevi collapsed in the bathroom while getting ready.
- Movie stars, politicians and Sridevi’s millions of fans have erupted in grief back in India, where she was celebrated for depicting strong female characters on screen and as the “first female superstar of India” in male superstar-dominated Bollywood. In Mumbai, the film fraternity poured in at the home of Anil Kapoor – Sridevi’s brother-in-law and her co-star in blockbuster hits including Mr India – to pay their respects. Among the visitors were leading actors Karisma Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit, actor-politician Kamal Haasan and Telugu superstar Venkatesh.
- Sridevi’s career spanned five decades – she started working in movies at age 4. By the time she was 13, she was playing lead roles. She acted in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam movies before scripting a soaring career in Bollywood. A 15-year break from movies followed her marriage to Boney Kapoor. Sridevi returned in 2012 with the smash-hit “English Vinglish”. She followed it up with the thriller “Mom”. She shot for a special appearance in superstar Shah Rukh Khan’s upcoming film – “Zero” – which releases in December. Sridevi is survived by her husband, and two daughters, Jhanvi and Khushi.