The Cabinet met today under the chairmanship of the Prime Minister,
the Hon. Pravind Kumar Jugnauth. The highlights of the deliberations are as follows:
- Cabinet has agreed to the National Land Transport Authority:
- extending the timeframe for new licencees to implement their Public Service Vehicle Licence for contract buses up to 30 June 2021;
- reviewing the implementation age of contract buses from eight to ten years in respect of those conveying employees and school children while those conveying tourists would be reviewed from two to four years; and
- extending the variation of licences, on a temporary basis, in order to allow contract bus operators licensed to convey tourists to also carry employees.
- Cabinet has taken note that the Minister of Finance, Economic Planning and Development would promulgate the Finance and Audit (National COVID-19 Vaccination Programme Fund) Regulations 2020 to set up the Special Fund to be known as the “National COVID-19 Vaccination Programme Fund”, and the Finance and Audit (Amendment of Schedule)
(No. 4) Regulations 2020 to amend the Schedule to the Finance and Audit Act so as to include the National COVID-19 Vaccination Programme Fund as a new item.
- Cabinet has taken note that Regulations would be made:
(a) under the Interpretation and General Clauses Act, to extend the COVID-19 period in respect of the renewal of the firearm licence; and
(b) under the Firearms Act for:
(i) any licencee who was or is in a quarantine facility in Mauritius during the period 01 to 31 December 2020, his firearm licence to expire on
31 January 2021; and
(ii) any licencee who is abroad until 31 December 2020, his firearm licence to expire on the last day of th ensuing month after his arrival in Mauritius.
- Cabinet has taken note of the alarming situation of the COVID-19 pandemic prevailing across the world and the new variant of the virus which has been detected in UK and South Africa. With regard to Mauritius, no local case had been recorded since 26 November 2020. Currently, there were four active cases of COVID-19 in Mauritius. As at
30 December 2020, 527 cases of COVID-19 had been registered. The public should continue to observe strict sanitary precautions. Entry to passengers from UK and South Africa or those who have transited through these countries during the last 15 days is being prohibited until 10 January 2021.
- Cabinet has taken note that upon a request made by the Sugar Insurance Fund Board, the Mauritius Cane Industry Authority has determined the sugar price for insurance purpose for the two categories for Crop 2020 as follows:
Growing Side = Rs12,780/tonne of sugar @ 98.5% Polarisation
Milling Side = Rs12,000/tonne of sugar @ 98.5% Polarisation
- Cabinet has taken note of the reopening of Mahebourg Waterfront, the lagoon from Mahebourg Waterfront to Pointe Jérôme. Cabinet has also taken note of the temporary lifting of restriction at Pointe d’Esny until 8 January 2021 in the aftermath of the
MV Wakashio oil spill.
- Cabinet has taken note that the Cargo Handling Corporation Limited would grant a
50 percent waiver on stevedoring and shore charges for all export laden containers and charge a 10 percent increase on stevedoring and shore charges for all import laden containers, for the period 01 January 2021 to 30 June 2021.
- Cabinet has agreed to Mauritius making a request to the SADC Secretariat to extend the safeguard duty of 15 percent on margarine (HS 1517 1090) and spread (HS 1517 1010) under the SADC Protocol on Trade for an additional period of four years from January 2021 to January 2024.
- Cabinet has taken note of the appointment of Mr Sunael Singh Purgus as
part-time Chairperson of the Board of the Fashion and Design Institute.
- Cabinet has taken note of the appointment of Mr Dyaneshwar Ramdhony as
part-time Chairperson of the Board of Film Classification.
- Cabinet has taken note of the reconstitution of the Board of Trustees of the Aapravasi Ghat Trust Fund with Mr Rishiraj Kanhye as part-time Chairperson.
Note: Cabinet decisions are available on the internet. The address is http://pmo.govmu.org
Government Information Service
Prime Minister’s Office
30 December 2020 Port Louis